It is finished. The 31 Days of Zero Suit Samus is finally complete! Feels good, man. This was an awesome project. First off, I’d like to thank some people for their support.
- Ross Rosenberg, who provided me with a brilliant, confusing, hilarious or otherwise interesting scenario to draw every day.
- My wife, Jinny for being my #1 cheerleader and the best muse anyone could possibly hope for.
- Gamefreaks.nz for blogging every single day of the series.
- Ron Workman and Justin Rampage, for their Tumblr magicks and for promoting the series to #gaming every dang day.
- Everyone who’s written articles about the project. Comics Alliance, 4 Color Rebellion and Kotaku. Thanks for the kind words.
- Everyone who’s liked and reblogged the series on tumblr! I love reading all your comments and answering your questions. Hello new followers! You’re all rad.
- Everyone who’s already purchased a print. Your support keeps these kinds of projects interesting and worthwhile to me.
This all started as a way for me to exercise my creative muscles on a daily basis. I work as a designer and was feeling a little rusty. Ross came up with the idea to do 31 days of Zero Suit Samus, apparently just off the top of his head. I love drawing Nintendo characters, and Metroid is one of my favorite Nintendo franchises. I loved the idea of being able to pull inspiration not only from the Metroid universe, but the Smash Brothers universe as well. I had a lot of fun thinking about what daily life would be like for these characters in their own universe, and loved building little subplots with the illustrations. Stuff like Mario always acting like an impatient jerk, or the baby Metroid following Samus around really fleshed out a world for me, and I felt the last day wrapped up all those loose ends. I was really satisfied with the way it turned out, and looking back at all of the strips it’s hard to choose a favorite. I’d love to do an actual comic with these characters some day.
So, what’s next? First I’m going to tackle all the incoming print orders! (Protip: if you want to get the last panel in the last comic as a print, that’s available too!) Each print is made in-house, signed and titled by me. They’re bagged and boarded and I always include a bunch of extras (stickers, pinback buttons, etc). Each print is $10, which is a steal. (Additional Protip: use code HOORAY at checkout to get 10% off your whole order!)
I’ve also started compiling everything into a book, which I am hoping to finish up by the end of the month. The book will include all 31 days reprinted in full color with commentary from both Ross and I. I’m also going to include a ton of additional art, as well as sketches and unused ideas. It’s going to be pretty great. But don’t wait to buy the book! You can’t hang a book on your wall anyway.
Also, I’m still doing a weekly podcast over at WeeklyGeekShow.com. Check it out if you like blathering about video games and other geeky stuff.
I’ll also continue posting drawings to Wasabi Sunshine, as well as book progress updates. Thanks to all my new followers, and here’s to the awesomeness that is Samus. Cheers!
BUY ANY PRINT FOR JUST $10 HERE
VIEW ALL 31 DAYS HERE (click “older posts” at the bottom to view more)